Thursday, June 09, 2011

Happenings in My Classroom


Oooh they are getting punchy! And so am I really. I'm so done and ready to be out for summer, although you couldn't tell by the weather that it's summer.
So this week my kids started a new project: make a board game for 2-4 players. It needed to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division. They needed to decide if they were going to use dice, a spinner, or cards. If they were going to have rewards or penalties. They also needed to create a board with pictures and labels. That is a lot of decisions to be made by groups of kids and inevitably there is going to be some disagreements, so I gave them some options of how they can solve their disagreements: rock paper scissors or voting (they were in groups of three) and if either of those didn't work then they could come and talk to me, but they needed to realize the first question I was going to ask them was, did you vote? did you play rock paper scissors? And then I told them, if their option wasn't the one that was picked they needed to suck it up because they were in 4th grade.
Shortly after I hear sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's sucking noises going on in the classroom. Funny, right? Yeah, but only in my head. The two hecklers had been at it for the past week, so I called them out.

Me: "Excuse me, are you two being appropriate right now?"
Boys: Nothing just started at me.
Me: "Are you treating me with respect right now?" (treating people and property with respect is one of the school rules.)
Boys: "No"
Me: "So what do you think you need to do to me right now?"
Boy 1: "Sorry Ms. Chock for not respecting you."
Boy 2: "I'm sorry for not respecting you, Ms. Chock"
Me: "Thanks boys"

Then I proceeded on with the class. Both boys were kind of shocked that I called them out in front of the class, but really? pretending to suck something up a straw? come on! (although it was pretty funny)

PS I tried to keep both of them away from each other when calling groups to make these games and in the end they ended up in the same group! Oh man! I'm in for it!!!

No comments: