Sunday, May 01, 2011

Bloomsday, The Tradition Continues!

Today we all woke early and started preparing for "the race". This year made it, 5 years in a row. Whoo Hoo!


This year I got to ride in the "elite" car and go early as I was going to best my time by 15 min. We made it down to the start, hit the bathrooms and began the race. My plan was to run to the first mile marker and then run the downhills and walk the uphills. It sort of worked, except for all the people that kept me down! My first mile was done in 9 min, but then as my paced slowed it went up to 15 min. miles. I kept track of my mile times, so I would know if I would be making my goal.
As I rounded the corner and walked as fast as I could to the 7 mile marker, I realized that I wasn't going to make my goal. I was already at 1 hr. and 44 min and I had wanted to finish in 1 hr. and 45 min. So I busted my butt, knowing that I would only have 14 min. to finish if I wanted to best my time. In my last push I was able to push myself and finish only 5 min. later....so unofficially I have a time of 1 hr. 50 min. which is 9 min. less than last year.
UPDATED! Just got my official time and I'm not too happy with it. My timing wasn't even close to what I thought. Booo! So my last year's (2010) time was 1:57:12 and this year's time 1:56:12. Only 1 minute difference.
I got my t-shirt when I was done and met up with the other "elite" runners from my family, we had a beer, an ice cream, and then I came home and took a nap!
It was a long run!!!

No comments: