Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oh the 4th Grade!

With the first full week almost under my belt ( We started with a 3 day week, a 4 day week with Labor day, and then this week with 5), I'm beginning to feel like a real 4th grade teacher. It's been a little overwhelming and a bit surreal.
Because I moved directly upstairs and have set up and decorated my room almost the same, I sometimes forget where I am and what I am teaching. The curriculum is taking some time getting used to and really it seems like I'm up in front teaching more than I ever did with the younger ones. I'm also relearning a lot of vocabulary I haven't used since, well high school, and I'm having to remind myself to use school language and not just my every day jive.
I'm having to be tough on them to make sure they will stay in line and tow the line when it gets tough, but so far it is working out. I have about 4 boys that could really give me a run for my money if I let them. So far only 2 of them have gotten in trouble and it wasn't in my class.
Today was the first day I did any singing to get them through to transition to the next station and they did fine. We also played some rhythm games, which they did well on until they had to touch each other then they were done.
I have tons to correct and lots of things to get ready for each day and although I feel tired each day when I come home, I'm glad that I get to go and see them tomorrow.

1 comment:

sarahmarie0730 said...

I was wondering if you would be using your singing skills in 4th grade...