Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's Her Birthday


This past weekend, we celebrated my aunt's 50th birthday. She turned 50 all the way back in July where she also found out she was going to be kayaking with us (her sister, her daughter, and me) in Friday Harbor for 3 hours. She was psyched, even more so when she saw the shirts and hats that we would be donning on our trip.





We headed out Saturday morning at the early hour of 6am, but the stinky part for me was that at some point the night before I got sick and had been throwing up the whole night. Yet I sucked it up and went on. We boarded the ferry at 9 am and were off on our adventure.
Throughout our time on the ferry many people came up and wished my aunt a happy birthday. We also got many people staring at us. My cousin, Kalei, and I sometimes forgot what we were wearing and wondered why people were always staring at us.
The ferry docked and we were picked up by John, our driver and guide, who toured us toward our launching site. Upon our arrival we got outfitted for our kayaks, given some instructions, and then were launched into the water.
My mom and I were in one kayak and my aunt and cousin in another. It was a lot tougher than we thought it would be. You not only were paddling with your arms, but the person in the back seat was using their legs to shirt the propeller. The ride was fun, but the wind made it hard on the way down the coast. We for sure thought it would be easier on the way back , oh but the winds had turned and it was just as hard coming out as going back. We did get to see some wildlife while out: river otters and jelly fish, but no orca whales.
After kayaking we ate some lunch at a coffee shop, then got on the next ferry and headed home.

No comments: