Thursday, August 04, 2011

I AM A TRIATHLETE!


I did it!! I'm so happy and feel such an accomplishment. I even thought about getting a tattoo to commemorate this wonderful event! (fyi: long post! not many pictures)
In the weeks leading up to it I got more and more nervous, even though my training was going well. I was working out daily and eating the right amounts of food to keep me going. But I was totally psyching myself out. I was also a bit crabby and just a wee bit on edge.
The day before the race after a great breakfast at my sister's house, we were off to Coeur d'Alene to check into the race and attend some of the forums to better acquaint myself with the race and the surroundings. We, Riles and I, got into the car and he, who never listens to country music, turned on some sappy country music and was be-bopin along to it. My eyes instantly filled with tears and I told him he had to turn it off. He asked why and I told him that it was making me more nervous! Now, come on really?!?! How does country music make one nervous? I don't know, but all I know is that sh*t had to get turned off. It got turned off and then I got a stern talking to about self talk and how I had to toughen up and even though I was nervous I had to pretend not to be and when people asked if I was ready, I had to tell them, "Yes I am!"
We got out there and had to stand in line for an hour to get my number and swim cap and a few other goodies. Then we went to the forums, which were really good as they really answered a lot of my questions that I had and the guy who ran them helped me figure out how to make my swim cap fit!
I was still pretty nervous, but I wasn't going to let my nerves get the best of me. That night we walked around Coeur d'Alene and then went back to the hotel to eat and go to bed to be ready for the next day.
The following morning I awoke on time and immediately put my iPod on to psych myself up for the race. I did my hair as I was instructed to the night before, ate a little breakfast, checked my bag for the umpteenth time and then we were off. We got down to the race area, I set up my transition area and set my slippers out at the end of the swim.
In a triathlon it's customary to have your number written on your arm, but the number that goes on your leg (which I always assumed was the same number on your arm) is actually your age. It's so you can see how old the people you are passing may be, as well as so you can see how old the people that are passing you are. So my numbers were written on me, there was a short meeting and then Riles and I headed out to swim start. ...I had an hour to wait as I was in the last group to start.

1 comment:

tiwalani said...

you kick ass friend!! congratulations!!