Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Happenings in My Classroom


I love teaching and each year I fall in love with my kids. I want to protect them from everything and make sure that they succeed in every aspect of their life. As I look at other classes, I can't imagine them being as good or as cool as my class. As I look at other classes, I wonder if their teacher loves them as much I love my little ones.
Yesterday one of my students walked in with his mom for his conference, but something was visibly wrong with him. He hadn't been in school for 3 days and according to his brother he had gotten burned on his head. All of my other kids that were in the room, were super curious about what had happened to him, but he wanted nothing to do with them. I shooed them away from him and then away from the classroom, so I could meet with them.
As I came around the table and sat down, I asked him how he was doing and what had happened and why hadn't he been in school, cause this child doesn't miss any school. He pulled away from his mom and saw that his whole face had been burned. He proceeded to tell me that he was running in the kitchen and he ran into someone standing in the kitchen holding a boiling pot of water. The water went all over his face.
I felt so bad for him and as I tried to talk to him about it, my voice caught in my throat. I told him, he must have learned a very valuable lesson about running in the kitchen then, I guessed. I also showed him the scar on my arm from moving the ironing board to watch my sister get her diaper changed and the iron falling on my arm. It was really hard to talk for bit, but I pulled it together and got through the conference. At the end I asked if he would be back on Monday and his mom said she didn't know, cause the "pretty boy" didn't want to come back with his face looking like it did.
I told him that the first day would be super hard, cause everyone would be asking about it and they would all be very curious, but the next day would be easier and the more he came back the easier it would be. Also he needed to be at school and learning. That is when he flashed me his great big smile and I melted all over again.

I sooo love my kids!

1 comment:

sarahmarie0730 said...

Poor kiddo:( That must be so hard, can you imagine? But like you said, it will get easier for him each day.